Navigate my Pages

Monday, August 1, 2016

Reflecting on Chapter 2: The Innovator's Mindset from The Innovator's Mindset by George Couros

My main take-aways from Chapter 2 are:


  • Having an innovator's mindset is more than just having a growth mindset
  • An innovator's mindset is: "the belief that the abilities, intelligence, and talents are developed so that they lead to the creation of new and better ideas."
  • Focus on creating something new with our new knowledge.
  • Innovation is a way of thinking rather than all the "stuff" that you may or may not have the budget to purchase
  • "We need to learn to innovate inside the box."
  • Resiliency and grit are important traits to have as an innovator so that you can get back up after a fail and have the courage to try again until you succeed.
  • Critical questions for the innovative educator:
    • Would I want to be a learner in my own classroom?
      • Is this how I like to learn?
    • What is best for THIS student?
      • education should not occur by a  one-size-fits-all approach
    • What is this student's passion?
      • Identity Day- to learn about what students love outside of school
    • What are some ways we can create a true learning community?
      • Everyone in the classroom is a teacher and a learner!
    • How did that work for our students?
      • reflect and get feedback
  • To have an innovator's mindset, you must have empathy for your students.
    • How fitting that I am currently reading Unselfie, a book about empathy by Michele Borboa!
  • We should be able to look anew at what we do and ask ourselves, "Is there a better way?"

As for the discussion questions at the end of the chapter, I need more time to ponder them.  Especially the question: 
  • If you were to start a school from scratch, what would it look like?
    • All I can say to this question as of now is I kind of get to live this question out since I have been at Richard J. Lee Elementary since year 1.  I am feeling very inspired while reading this book, and I know that my administration supports innovation at our school.  Great things are going to happen this year! #RJLYear3 #RJLlearns

No comments:

Post a Comment